As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Thursday, July 03, 2008

My Own Little "Holding Pattern"

The women over at girltalk have written a post based partially on the following quote from missionary Jim Elliott: “Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation that you believe to be the will of God.”

The girltalkers applied this quote to homemaking, encouraging wives who stay home to live to the hilt their particular season of life, even when the tasks of the day seem mundane. Obviously, I am not in their situation. Nonetheless, I am just as tempted to look to "tomorrow" in hopes of what can be accomplished then, rather than focusing on glorifying God by "living to the hilt" the sometimes-mundane tasks of today. This last month of pregnancy seems to be a neverending holding pattern, and I am increasingly impatient with the aches and exhaustion and with the delay in meeting my sweet Sara. But I am encouraged by this post--God's timing is perfect, and Sara will arrive exactly when she should. Certainly He has appointed each day until her arrival and each one after it. So, I should not simply sit and wait. There are lots of things that can be done today and every day until she comes.

So, you will hear no more bellyaching from me about the waiting game. (Although I am firmly on the record as being very ready for her arrival.) Instead, I'd like to talk about what can be done today--for the glory of God and for the good of my already-wonderful little family.

No comments: