As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Adventures in Potty Training, Part I

I have to confess--I am terrified of potty training a little boy.  Terrified, I tell you.  I have seen wonderful, put-together moms want to pull out their hair over this (hi there, Juju!) and I'm just not interested in it at all.

Despite my hesitation, a couple of weeks ago Brooks threw us for a loop by deciding he was ready to go to the potty.  We found him exploring the toilet paper...

We also found him taking off his diaper, etc. (I'll spare you the details).

Slightly daunted, I decided it was best to encourage this independent streak.  So, we headed to Sam's to buy pull-ups.  Brooks was very excited--and the oohing and aahing from his big sisters, combined with the Disney Cars motif on the pull-ups, cinched it.  He was Big-Boy bound.

See the determination in his eyes?


We also got some big boy underwear!  He was ecstatic.

I mean, they had Thomas the Train AND Cars!  Who could ask for anything more?



I even found him trying to put on all of his new underwear at once...


After a week of taking pull-ups to school and wearing his underwear around the house having accidents, we decided that Brooks wasn't in fact ready for serious potty training (although he did look so cute in his big boy pants bebopping around the house proudly).  So we have retired the beloved undies for another day.  And I have to say--this Mommy is relieved.  I realize that I would probably be freaking out if he were my first and we were giving up so easily, but hey, on kid 3 I figure I've earned the right to be nonchalant about this endeavor--especially since boys don't tend to be as ambitious in this area as girls So we will complete our potty training quest another day.  And I'll continue handing over cash to Pampers, whom I've heavily funded for over 3 years now.

To Be Continued.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I am right there with you - potty training is kinda the bane of my existence :) He'll get it when he's truly ready!