As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Unsolicited Advice from an Uncool Mommy of Three

I put on my brakes as we descended the hill and my blinker as I turned off of the highway onto the perpendicular four-lane road. And just as I braked at the yield sign, waiting for a clearing to merge into traffic, a blue BMW zipped past me into the left lane of traffic at a high speed. I was in disbelief. This guy couldn't have known whether I was about to accelerate onto the road, and had he misjudged we certainly would have had quite a wreck.

I waited my turn and merged into traffic. As I drove for a few minutes, I realized that I was approaching a red light. And who sat, stopped, at that red light? Why, the blue BMW of course. For all of his hurry, he hadn't made it very far.  As my minivan pulled up in the lane next to him, I looked--stared, really--incredulously at the young man who was checking out his reflection in the rearview mirror. He looked back, and I impulsively rolled down my window. I asked him in my best Mom-voice, "Are you the person who just passed me at that intersection?" He paused and responded affirmatively. He was "just trying to get in the other lane." "Well," I smiled condescendingly, "I didn't think it was very safe, and I have kids in my car." I waited while he squirmed for a second and stammered an "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."

Satisfied, I didn't wait for him to finish the excuse. I just smiled again, said "It's ok," and rolled up my window. Blessedly, the light changed and I pulled off--cautiously--in my day-care-bound van.  Wondering exactly what had gotten into me back there.

The lessons here: I am now old, uncool, and apparently feeling sassy. Drivers beware.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I love it Sassy Mom! I would have done the same.

The Groves said...

Good for you sassy lady! I would have just bad-mouthed him the rest of the day and secretly wished I had said something.

Duski said...

I love you, Anita! That is fabulous. :)

Mike Head said...

Oh my gosh. The van has taken over your personality. Who is that crazy lady?

Anita Kay said...

Ha!! Yep--it's all the van.

kristin sullivan said...

This story made my week. :)

And suuuure, blame it on the van. Because you were not sassy AT ALL before ;)