As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Screaming at an Oblivious Operator

I have a simple request: please, please, please just do away with the automated systems that want you to talk to them!

I called Delta today to find out the status of our flight that leaves at the crack of dawn tomorrow, headed straight into a blizzard. But I couldn't get any information because the silly system is not compatible with Southern accents. At least, that's my only theory. Those things can never understand a word I say. It didn't seem to matter how loudly or articulately I yelled "help" into the phone as it requested. It still said in a sugary voice, "I'm sorry. I did not understand you. Please repeat your command."

Rather than losing my mind in the middle of the afternoon for all the office to watch, I slammed the phone down and decided that I would arrive at the airport without a clue as to my fate. It has to be less maddening than trying to get answers from a Yankee automated operator.

2 comments:

Duski said...

Amen! Daniel was laughing at me recently screaming into the phone at the Gateway automated operator who wanted me to speak the serial number of our computer to her....her reply 3 times was "I'm sorry, I did not understand what you said," to which I replied in a not so quiet voice, "That's because you're a freaking computer!!!" Why do companies think those stupid things are effective???

Courtney said...

Awe, so sorry! I hope you have a nice trip anyways! Wish I could go with you and see my bro in NY. I'm sure y'all are gonna have a fabulous time....despite the snow. Love ya :)