As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Picking a Side

I posted a couple of weeks ago about the steep pay hike Alabama legislators gave themselves over Governor Riley's veto. Since the passage of the pay increase, six legislators have turned down the raise. Hats off to them.

I would note that not one of them is from the "Over the Mountain" area in Birmingham. I would encourage any legislator who was crying "foul" just days ago to put his money where his mouth is. If you opposed the pay increase, believing it was excessive, shouldn't you then refuse the money?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I often ask myself why is it that the people we elect to serve the interest of the people don't? Now I know that I am generalizing, but when was the last time you heard anything positive come out of Montgomery?

I am new to Alabama, I didn't grow up here and I don't have any family here outside of my immediate family, but I have developed many new friends in my short 6 months of living here. The reason I mention this is because I don't have a good reference point other than this, what I find interesting about the Alabama legislature, is the fact that they are all part-time, which means they have real jobs elsewhere and have other sources of income.

I will be curious to see how many of them are re-elected after their term is up, but you know by then many Alabamians will have forgotten all about it.