As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Rude Awakening

I realized something this morning: I am not going to sleep for the next decade of my life.

The thing is, I didn't even know how good I had it before getting pregnant. For twenty-five years, I would go to sleep and would not wake up until morning. I never got up to go to the bathroom, I never tossed and turned. It was heavenly. Then I got pregnant, and I have not had an uninterrupted night's sleep since.

And it's only going to get worse. Instead of merely dealing with my own discomfort, I will be tending to the needs of an infant during the night. Gone are the days of a full night's sleep, not to return until my last child is about 3.

So, if I'm in a haze for the next ten years or so, you'll have to forgive me. I'm semi-permanently sleep-deprived.

No comments: