As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Legacy of Faith

My mom called me Sunday night to tell me that my great-grandmother had passed away that afternoon. She died almost a month after another great-grandmother of mine.

I know how unusual it is to reach the age of twenty-five with living great-grandparents. I have been immeasurably blessed to know them. But with the blessing of knowing them comes the sadness of losing them. With so many older people in our family, we have been in a season of loss for the last few years. I started college with five living great-grandparents. I now have one.

I have most recently lost my great-grandmothers. These women were talented and strong. My Mama Kirk could sew and knit beautifully. She used to make our Easter dresses, and later made us gorgeous afghans. My Gigi was also crafty, painting china or canvas; she particularly liked painting birds. A passionate but constant woman, someone at her funeral correctly stated, "No one could love you as hard as Addie." Mama Dawson, our most recent loss, was quite a musician. She could play hundreds of hymns and songs without sheet music on her piano, and she often entertained the "old people," as she called them, with musical productions. These women loved life and loved their families. They have left us many memories.

I have recently collected the last cards I received from Mama Dawson and Gigi, as well as Mama's funeral program and placed them in my Bible at Hebrews 11. They are my own "Faith Hall of Fame," because in addition to their individual talents, each woman loved the Lord and served His people. They serve as examples of lives well-lived.

I have great peace knowing they are with their Lord, whom they loved so dearly. Gigi's card, which she sent me in college, appropriately says, "Angels are Watching Over You." Indeed they are.

3 comments:

J. Head said...

Amazing women. I am blessed to have known them.

Thank you for sharing this.

Alex & Laura Beth said...

Anita, what sweet memories. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

We just got back from Spartanburg. You might want to know that, when we had the memorial service for Mama Dawson, two of the photos that were spread out in the lobby were those of you and of Jason with her on your way home from Gastonia. She loved your visit, and framed the two photos you sent her. You'd have loved the upbeat service. One of the highlights was one of her "Good Friends" singing the hymn that she wrote some years ago.