As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

And the Award Goes To...

Inspired by the Screen Actors Guild, who just really filled that gap between the Golden Globes and Oscars by creating another much-needed award show for the same group of people, I've decided to hand out my own award of sorts. So, here it is: the 2006 Most Craveable Foods. So far there are only 4 categories: beverages, appetizers, meals, and desserts. Maybe I'll get more creative in 2007. Nominations will only go to specific beverages, appetizers, meals, and desserts at restaurants.

Since I am limited in my knowledge of restaurants outside the Oxford, Tuscaloosa, and Birmingham areas, feel free to submit nominations of your own. Keep in mind: these are foods you crave the most, not foods you like the most. What do you just have to have?

In the mean time, here are the leaders:

Beverages
The Bellini, Burgundy Room (Oxford)
Margaritas, Sol y Luna (Birmingham)
Pineapple Infusion, Catch 22 (Tuscaloosa)
Caramel Frappuccino, Starbuck's

Appetizers
Super Crunch Roll, Surin West (Birmingham)
World Famous Chile Con Queso, La Paz (Birmingham)
Red Bean Rolls, Ajax (Oxford)

Meals
Cheeseburger, Mugshots (Tuscaloosa)
Thai Noodle, Surin West (Birmingham)
Brocolli Rice Casserole, Phil's (Tuscaloosa)

Desserts
Bread Pudding, The Cypress Inn (Tuscaloosa)
Glazed Doughnut, Krispy Kreme (Anywhere they're Hot Now!)

Oh, and I'll have to give an Honorable Mention to the Chevron in Oxford for their late-night menu.

Update: I have been remiss in leaving out Bottletree Bakery (Oxford). They excel in all things breakfast and all things sweet. They've even earned acclaim from Oprah, who featured their apple pie on her show three years ago. But I'd personally have to recommend their blueberry muffins!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ten votes for Surin Super Crunch!!!

Super Crunch is definitely the shoe-in for that category, mainly because I am craving it so much I would eat my own hand if it were fried, wrapped in rice, topped with salmon, and drizzled with sweet brown goodness (is that oyster sauce???)

A few more nominations you may want to consider:

Meals:

Cheeburger Cheeburger cheeseburger - they really are the best in Bham that I've found

Appetizers:
Downtown Grill
Cornbread and whipped butter. These things are so good I have been known to sneak into the kitchen on a Saturday night and escape with half a dozen in my purse...
The ranch dressing is not too shabby either - if you're not a butter fan, the cornbread is great dipped in their homemade buttermilk ranch....

Desserts
Nonna Rose/Prairie Fire Grille/Original Joe's
Bread Pudding!!! I've had the Cypress Inn Bread Pudding and it really is very good, but I don't know about craveable. The bread pudding at Prairie Fire Grill, etc. is so good I just drooled on my new sweater and left a big wet spot. It's white chocolate bread pudding so moist it melts in your mouth. It's drizzled with this thick raspberry glaze, garnished with fresh blueberries, boisenberries, and strawberries, and topped with fresh whipped cream. It really is the best dessert I have ever, ever had - not to mention the most craveable.

I really hope I don't live in Birmingham or Oxford while I'm pregnant. I'm going to be big as a house and broke.

Side Note: Darn you, Anita Manly Head for sucking me in......and no fair using food to do it!!!

Anonymous said...

And I must say, the Superior grill cheese dip with fresh, hot, thick, gooey homemade tortillas is to die for....

Anonymous said...

Drinks:

Anything from O'Henry's coffee (especially Vanilla Creme Brulee blend)
Starbucks Italian blend, made with a french press, with lots of cream.....
Jason Head's flavored coffee that Anita hates for him to buy....

Anita Kay said...

i like your drink nominations, heather. but i'm going to have to beg to differ on the cheeseburger nomination...you absolutely must have these burgers at mugshots. i like cheeburger cheeburger, and they're good. but these mugshots things are TO DIE FOR. :)

Anonymous said...

I second the Surin Super Cruch nomination...my mouth is watering as I type. Delicious!

Nominations I crave:

Appetizers:
Smoked Catfish Dip at Ajax

Meals:
Macaroni and Cheese from Ajax
Cheeseburger from Phillip's Grocery
Anything from McAllisters DRENCHED in honey mustard

Desserts:
You nominate it, I crave it. I have a major sweet tooth in serious denial right now.
After Heather's description of the bread pudding, I'm dying.

Drinks:
I've only had them once, but those margaritas from Sol y Luna are SO yummy!
The Strawberry Pina Coladas from our honeymoon. One day I drank too many and got sick.

Anonymous said...

I second the Surin Super Cruch nomination...my mouth is watering as I type. Delicious!

Nominations I crave:

Appetizers:
Smoked Catfish Dip at Ajax

Meals:
Macaroni and Cheese from Ajax
Cheeseburger from Phillip's Grocery
Anything from McAllisters DRENCHED in honey mustard

Desserts:
You nominate it, I crave it. I have a major sweet tooth in serious denial right now.
After Heather's description of the bread pudding, I'm dying.

Drinks:
I've only had them once, but those margaritas from Sol y Luna are SO yummy!
The Strawberry Pina Coladas from our honeymoon. One day I drank too many and got sick.

Anonymous said...

My earlier comment didn't get posted, if it suddenly shows up I apologize.

I second the Surin Super Crunch nomination. Right now they are seriously making me think B'Ham is where it's at next year.

Other nominations I crave:

Appetizers:
Smoked Catfish Dip at Ajax

Meals:
Macaroni and Cheese at Ajax
Cheeseburger from Phillips Grocery
Turkey Wrap and Sweet potato chips DRENCHED in honey mustard from Amsterdam Cafe in Auburn (if you are ever there is it a MUST have)

Desserts:
You nominate it, I crave it.
Right now I'm craving bread pudding after Heather's description.

Drinks:
Margaritas from Sol y Luna, Yummy.
The Strawberry Pina Coladas from our honeymoon. One day I drank too many and got sick. So romantic.

J. Head said...

You all sound like a bunch of healthy women sitting around making each other's mouths water!

Anita Kay said...

"healthy," huh? how very p.c. of you, dear. :)

Alex & Laura Beth said...

Jason really meant FAT, in case anyone needed clarification. Anita, we will definitely be partaking in some of your food recommendations next weekend!

Anonymous said...

my humble opinions...
anita, right on about the sol y luna margaritas...although my pocketbook may not crave them, my stomach rarely listens to that nonsense...also, the crab dip at 5 points grill and the onion dip at ciao cafe...i could make a progressive dinner in which we never progressed beyond dips, because along with the already (and rightly so!) recognized la paz queso, who wants to progress anyway??