As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

An exhausting, wonderful week

A week ago today was Move In Day. As I sat at my kitchen table this morning, I looked around and marveled at the change in our house over the last week. And I particularly marveled at how little it has to do with us.

Since moving into our house, Jason and I have continually remarked that we are so very blessed. But not because of the house or anything in it. We are completely amazed by the willingness of our family members and our best friends to help us move, settle in, and adjust to our new surroundings.

I am grateful for my mother-in-law, who rearranged her schedule to rescue me from my anxiety and came to help me pack before the move. And, what's more, she came back to Alabama the very next week to move everything from Wetumpka to Hoover--and even painted some baseboards for us in the interim! I am grateful for my mom, who helped us paint several rooms before the move, and I'm in awe of her ability to decorate rooms well and quickly--she has unpacked more boxes than I have, I am quite sure. Without her help, I'd be looking at lots of blank walls like a deer in headlights.

I also have such generous grandparents. My Mama Pat spent an entire week taking care of Hallie (the MOST important job) and keeping all of us fed. My grandfather assembled Hallie's crib (no small job, if you could have seen all of the little pieces that came with it!), painted our bathroom himself, and served as the world's best chauffeur all week before the move.

Our fathers loaded everything that we own into a moving truck on one of the hottest days I can remember and then showed up bright and early the next day to help unload it all. Without our dads, we wouldn't have a working washer and dryer, any working tools, assembled beds, an assembled dining room table, a bedroom suite from Cookeville... (The list goes on indefinitely).

Heather has also been here to help paint and to provide entertainment for us during the day--I'm not sure who loves her company more: Hallie, Archie, or me. She and Gray also "helped" by adding graffiti to our soon-to-be-painted closet door.

All of this to say, we are so very thankful. We could never repay any of you--although we are certainly prepared to try if any of you move anytime soon! Meanwhile, please know that you have blessed us immeasurably. We love you.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

What a blessing to have your family who loves you! Whew, makes me tired to think about us getting ready to do the same thing in about 2 weeks! Yikes!