As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sanity Restored

Last night, Jason and I weren't feeling stellar.  We survived dinnertime and eventually got the kids into bed.  Finally....And then Hallie started howling.  She didn't have her green blanket.  The child has slept with this blanket since she was born, so she was understandably insistent that she have it to go to bed.  So we looked for it.

And we looked for it.  And looked some more.  No green blanket.  I swear, the thing must have sprouted legs and walked out of our house.  We turned the place upside down--checked in cabinets, the hamper, and any other random place she might have put it.  To no avail.

Thus began the wailing.  This led to several threats and even a couple of spankings because Brooks was already asleep and Hallie just would NOT give it up.  But finally she went to sleep.  Phew.

And then, about an hour later, I passed Hallie's room only to hear her whimpering, "Hold me..."  My heart sank.  I went in her room and climbed in her bed to hold her for a few minutes hoping that would help her go to sleep.  It worked--she was snoring.  But right in mid-snore, she shot up in her bed and said frantically, "Where IS it, Mommy?"

And so the hunt ensued again.  I realized there was simply no way Hallie was going to sleep without that blanket.  I offered her other options, including the blanket I used to sleep with when I was little, but it was blue and hers was green, you see, so that just wouldn't do.  I was nearing the end of my rope.  Jason was decidedly past the end of his rope and told her that she absolutely had to go to bed.  She started crying some more.  Desperately, Jason said, "Hallie!  I will buy you another one!  Go to bed!"

And she stopped.  Mid-sob, she wiped her bleary eyes, looked up at him and said, "Can I get a pink one?  Because I like all the colors."

"Sure, Hallie.  Go to bed."

And she did.  And she slept all night without a blanket.

4 comments:

Allison Boman said...

That is so hilarious! I'm sure you were like, really Hallie, all you needed was an offer for another one?!? Bless your hearts. I can see Rebekah doing something like that. We almost lost a balloon yesterday to the wind and it would have been BAD!

Gigi said...

Anita - I love the way you tell this - I can almost hear every word coming out of Hallie's mouth! And you know you will have to buy another blanket - no matter what - because that girl remembers every promise made! (Somebody else was once like that...)

Heather said...

Don't buy another one!! Now's your chance to break free of the tyranny of the blanket! Tell her that Birmingham is all out of blankets. I hear that tactic works with getting kids to let go of attachments...hmmmm.....where did I hear that.....

Kim said...

I can totally relate. Colton has a blanket that has all but washed away at this point. I tried to give him Tyler's old blanket but it was blue and would not do. His Mom bought him a new brown blanket but he still will not give up the old one. Now when he goes to bed he asks for his brown blanket and his brown rag! HaHa