As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Friday, May 21, 2010

A Broken Bug

I received a somewhat frantic phone call from school yesterday morning, and they said Hallie had hurt her foot or leg on the playground.  Assuming this was just a little sprain, I calmly said I'd be there in a few minutes and gathered my things to head for the day care.  Before I even made it to my car, I had another call telling me I was going to need some help transporting her and asking if I wanted them to call the paramedics.  Not quite so calmly, I told them to let me come check it out to make the decision on the paramedics.  And I called our Gigi, who happened to have the day off of work (to prepare for Gray's graduation festivities, and not to be on standby for toddler emergencies, but...).  When I got to school I was pretty convinced that Hallie had broken something. She was screaming every time her foot moved even the slightest bit.  So, we decided to take her to Children's Hospital instead of the pediatrician's office.  Gigi drove, and I rode in the back holding Hallie's foot as still as humanly possible. 

When we got to the hospital, we grabbed one of their wagons and put H in it.  We rolled her into the ER and were SO thankful to not have a long wait.  (Apparently if you're going to break a bone, 10 am on Thursday is a good time to consider.)  X-rays revealed that she had broken her leg.  It was a spiral fracture down the bone, and the bone hadn't moved out of place.  This meant they didn't have to set it...thank goodness!...and could simply cast it.  So, after a gargantuan dose of Motrin and some Loritab the Bug was feeling better.  She did not enjoy the casting process at all, especially the drill they used on the cast.  (So, getting the cast off should be REALLY fun, but that's a problem for another day.)  But we made it home. 

The worst of it is that Hallie's cast reaches all the way up her thigh and makes it impossible for her to walk for the next three to four weeks.  This is more than a little problematic, since we have other little people who can't walk by themselves and/or can't do stairs by themselves.  So, please say a little prayer for patience and that we would be wise in figuring out how to maneuver our very dependent little crew for the next month or so.  After three or four weeks, if everything is healing well, they'll move her to a cast that is only on the bottom half of her leg and (hallelujah!) she should be able to walk some on it.  We shall see...meanwhile, I am very thankful to have my little girl safe at home enjoying her Nana, Papa, Juju, and Charlie.  And I'm going to try and make her princess party on Saturday super-fun, despite the silly ol' cast that has to be elevated for the next few days.  Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

poor sweet girl! we'll be praying for ALL of you during this crazy time!

Duski said...

So glad you didn't have to wait long! I was worried about that. Bless her little heart...she looks like she is a little trooper. :) Seriously, call me if you need anyting.

kb thomas said...

Bless her little heart (and yours). I will definitely be praying for you guys in the next few weeks!