As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Long Way Home

Heather and I went to Oxford yesterday afternoon to attend the visitation of our good friend's father, who passed away earlier this week. We were so glad to be there to hug Laura and let her know that we are praying for her and for her family. But, on the way back home...

First of all, yesterday was the Big Day for Northwest Alabama. Why, you ask? Corridor X/Highway 78/Future I-22 opened up from Forestdale to Jasper! This is truly great news for those of us who travel this highway a good bit -- and long-delayed, because the State of Alabama has been working on this stretch of road since the 70s. Anyway, feeling brave with my travel companion, and oblivious to the rain and darkness all around me, I took the new stretch of road on the way back. This was great and saved lots of time, UNTIL it dropped us out in residential Brookside, Alabama. Without street lights, signs, or any real indications of civilization. I didn't even know there was a Brookside, Alabama, much less how the heck to get to Birmingham. Thankfully, by following the end of our noses, we emerged on old 78 in Forestdale around 10:30. Success! Except...we turned the wrong way on 78 and had to turn around again.

So, finally headed home, and looking for a place to stop and purchase formula for Hallie's bottles today, we were a little tired. I dropped Heather off at her car and left for my house. Where the power was out. So, in the dark, damp middle-of-the-night, I trekked from my car up the front steps, using my cell phone to light my path. I let myself in the front door and was greeted by Archie.

I began getting ready for bed--in the pitch black dark--and discovered that the zipper on my skirt was completely stuck. It was not budging. I tried to pull it over my head, but the waist was smaller than my upper half. I tried to step out of it, but the waist was smaller than my lower half. (My husband missed most of this struggle because he had been asleep for hours.) Exhausted and out of options, I slept in my skirt and cotton pajama top. I was C-U-T-E.

3 comments:

The Groves said...

I think I just woke up everybody in our office from laughing so hard at that story...not so much the getting turned around when the road dropped off(which incidentally happened to me on I-440 in TN)..but the part about lighting the sidewalk with your cell phone and sleeping in the skirt. Classic. You'll be hearing about that for years to come.

Unknown said...

I thought that you might be interested in a few Brookside facts. I am a native of the town and though we are small we have a wonderful history. As the town's historian, I can tell you that we are home to a Revolutionary War soldier - only one of 17 such soldiers buried in Jefferson County - and home to the 1st Russian Orthodox church in the South, and yes, they still hold service every week. We have the annual Brookside Greenway Festival and the next one is April 5, 2008. We"d love for you to visit us again. For some history and information please see www.fivemilehistory.com or www.brooksidealabama.com

Alex & Laura Beth said...

Gosh, Anita! I cannot believe you had never heard of Brookside, and even more shocked that you were not aware of their contribution to the Revolutionary War and the expression of Russian Orthodoxy in the United States. I think it is high time we take this man up on his offer and make a visit, preferably on a Sunday so we can attend the orthodox service.

In all seriousness, I truly appreciate you and Heather making the long trip to and from Oxford to be with me and give me a hug. It really meant the world to me and spoke volumes about the wonderful friends that you are. It is so hard to lose your Dad, but being surrounded by friends and prayers help lighten the grief. Also, the Thanksgiving dinner idea was perhaps one of the best ideas you and Heather have every had. It honestly carried us through on Thanksgiving. We did not have to worry about trying to go out and eat (which none of us felt like doing), and we also didn't have to feel like we were ignoring the holiday all together. It was SO helpful, and I have heard my Mom speak over and over again to her friends about your thoughtfulness.

Thank you for your friendship. I love you!